Thursday, July 29, 2010

What is Northing & Easting?

What is Northing & Easting?

The title of this blog reflects my love of all things related to the study of the shape of the earth. This is traditionally known as the science of Geodesy, but I am not a geodesist. I am, however, someone who has spent the last 30 years involved in geodesy-like studies as part of my job as an officer in the Army Corps of Engineers an later as a geospatial information services and survey services manager.

The term 'northing & easting' is a common way surveyors identify coordinates (x, y) that precisely locate things on the Earth's surface; "The light pole is located at north 123456, east 654321."

But this blog won't be a dry recitation of earth science concepts and calculations. Sure, I'll touch on this topic from time to time. Instead this blog will record my thoughts, opinions, rants and infrequent brilliant insights into such critical topics as politics, world affairs, fishing, books, music, friends and family and anything else that catches my fancy or gets me worked up.

So, stay tuned and I hope you enjoy what I have to offer!

Brian

No comments: